Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Through the Bible - Review

I am so excited about what God's doing in the midst of our student ministry. I spent the first couple of months in my position getting to know the students and their families, but also evaluating where they were spiritually.

Several times I noticed when I would ask them to turn to a book of the Bible, whether it was a popular one or not, they would struggle to find it. Despite growing up in the church most had very little knowledge of the Bible. They're simply the product of their environment that until now had not had a meaningful student ministry established.

My plan...change that.

I shopped around and discovered Jenny Baker's "Through the Bible in 12 Weeks" curriculum through Simply Youth Ministry. I downloaded the preview of it and knew that it was the perfect start for our students. It gives them a fantastic introduction to the Bible and teaches them the structure of one of the greatest love stories of all time and how they are a part of it.

One thing that excites me is that the curriculum encourages you to tell students you are not going to tell them what to believe. I love the idea that it challenges students to seek the answers for themselves. To wrestle with the scriptures and discover what they believe.

After the 12 weeks of this lesson I've already mapped out the rest of the year's lessons that will rotate with us looking at a book of the Bible and then a character study. We're starting broad and working our way to more specific aspects about the Bible and the people God used in it.

I can't wait to see God grow our students as they learn more about Him through studying The Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment