Sunday, February 5, 2012

Attendance Tracking

Keeping track of attendance in my youth group has been a struggle. I started off from the start keeping accurate records of every student that came in and out of our doors, but when I saw that I was only have 2 or 3 students during my meeting times I started neglecting it. I stopped keeping track because it was always the same students showing up.

I've decided that I'm going to get back at it. I've been looking for a great app or system to record my groups attendance, but struggled to find anything "ministry" specific. I instead turned toward the "educational" route and figured teachers would have great resources.

After going through several apps I found "Teacherpal" and will be experimenting with it over the next couple months and give a full review then.

I like the look and feel of it so far.

You can label each door (or folder for each service). I have chosen "Youth Group Demo" just for the purposes of this blog and indicated in the "details" section that it is on Wed. Night. You can also change the image that is taped to the door to whatever you want (your youth group logo)

Here you just tap on the person's name and it cycles through whether they are here or absent. It would make it very easy to be able to scroll over and just tap a persons name as they walk in the room to record that he/she is there.

Since it is an app designed for teachers, it has 7 class period slots for each day. What would be nice is if it allowed you to change the name of each period so that you could make it the name of each of your services. So you could indicate what service you were recording attendance for. The only work around is to create separate books for each service, which would be very tedious when adding new students.

I like it so far and will be testing it out tonight at our group gathering. I'll be taking pictures of each student to record as their image and making sure I have all their contact info in the system. What is nice is with one button you can e-mail the entire group. Now if someone would come up with a youth ministry version that replaces e-mailing with texting...that would be perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment