Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wasting Time

With the invention of Twitter, Facebook, and the now unpopular Myspace...we've become a society that wastes so much time with our eyes glued to our computer screens, but also our television sets. We're obsessed with the idea of constantly being connected to the world and staying up to date with what is going on in people's lives, some of which we have no idea who they are.

I was listening to a sermon by Francis Chan the other day and was challenged to sit back and evaluate how much time in my day that I waste doing things that absolutely have little if any importance in my life. The things I found myself doing were: looking for something to watch on television, working on my farm/cafe on facebook, being on facebook in general, surfing the net in general.

I don't mean to say that playing games on Facebook or watching television is a complete waste of time because in reality it can be a healthy source for entertainment. My wife and I have a TiVo and make use of it to record the shows we want to watch and then when we have time to sit down and watch them. Whenever we watch TV we watch it for a purpose, not simply to sit down and watch whatever just happens to be on. The moments that I'm trying to avoid is when I sit down on the couch and turned the TV on and scroll through the guide until I find something worth watching...my time can be used to do something much more important.

In Francis Chan's sermon he quoted John Piper who sent out the tweet, "One of the great uses of Twitter and Facebook will be to prove at the Last Day that prayerlessness was not from lack of time." When I read that it was like in the cartoons where a safe falls on the character and they're smashed. Reality hit me and it hit me hard. I've began to try to concentrate on not wasting my time and investing my time into things that matter.

James 4:14 states, "You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

No comments:

Post a Comment