Monday, May 17, 2010

Candy and Trash Magazines

While I would like to splurge on candy bars , read about how I can have wash-board abs by eating nothing but M&M's and Pizza for 6 weeks or even about how George Bush admitted to being an alien...I really hate the check-out lines at most grocery stores. Just this past weekend my wife and I were checking out at a Wynn Dixie and my wife pointed out a special "kid friendly" check-out lane. This "kid friendly" check-out lane has none of the distractions that are normally found at the conventional check-out lanes. When my wife and I move into our new apartment we're going to be living life with a lot less distractions. We're not going to be cable or satellite and we're going to have a lot more time to simply relax and enjoy being with each other. We'll be able to go back to enjoying playing Uno, Phase 10 and Rummy (yes Bob, Rummy). We'll have more time to enjoy things that we don't have time to enjoy now because we fill our schedules with things that waste our time like watching TV and updating our facebook statuses.

I challenge you to try and have a technology free day. Stay away from facebook, twitter and all those other distractions. Take the time that you normally would have wasted and go for a walk with your significant other or play a game of cards with a group of friends. We've become so addicted to technology that we are uncomfortable if we forget our cellphone or our iPod is dead. We've lost focus as to what is truly important in our lives.

"I believe the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time. This is why the devil tries so hard to get Christians to be religious. If he can sink a man's mind into habit, he will prevent his heart from engaging God. I was into habit."
— Donald Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment