Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The One with a Sanctus Real Song

One my wife and I's way up to visit family in the midwest I was flipping through the radio stations and Sanctus Real's song "Lead Me" came on the radio. I have heard the song a few times, but never really spent too much time thinking about the song, but I discovered that you have plenty of time to think about stuff when you're driving 1000+ miles in one direction. One section of the song hit me particularly hard.

"I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes
They're just children from the outside
I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine
They're independent
But on the inside, I can hear them saying...

Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, but what about us?"

These words are going to ring through my mind every time I lead a discussion with students. This song helped to remind me that students are not just a big blob of adolescence, but that they are individuals. Individual students with needs that are as different as snowflakes and change with every passing fad.

It reminds me that these students depend on us as leaders in ministry and in their lives to help pull them through some of the most confusing times of their lives. We're there to help be examples to them and to help support them when they need it. There are students that come to our services that are just simply looking for someone to love on them. To be the person that helps guide them because they don't receive that anywhere else. They are able to see that we care about them and the choices they make.

No comments:

Post a Comment