Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A new adventure...

The past 2 months have been a whirlwind of events and emotions. A few months ago I was contacted by a church regarding their need for someone to come and start up a youth ministry at their church. Initially I dismissed the idea because I was happy with my position at the church I was at and selfishly enjoying the Florida weather. We were flown up and I interviewed them as much as they interviewed me and on the flight back down to Florida my wife and I talked about the possibilities of being back closer to family and if this was where God was going to use us next.

To make a long story short...we're currently waiting to sign our new lease at the house we're going to be renting in Indiana.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do when I said goodbye to the 200+ students (and two awesome bosses) at Highland Park Church. They have impacted my life more than they will ever know. It was an awesome experience sitting back and watching God work in the lives of the students. Students that got what the Gospel was all about. Students that sacrificed time, energy and resources to raise money and help people in need.

Working at the church was a confirmation of a calling God has put on my life. A calling to work with students and parents to help navigate them through some of the roughest years of their lives...all while pointing them to Jesus for the answers.

It was at Highland Park that I formed professional relationships with co-workers and parents that I'll never forget. There were a couple of goodbyes that were harder than the rest and we departed with a "See you later" rather than "Goodbye." We say "See you later" because it isn't goodbye...I have faith that God blessed our work there and that He will bring us to work on projects again in the future. We may not see each other every day, but it is in this monster of a job we call youth ministry that we find ourselves as part of a family.

So here I sit...a full-time youth pastor. Earlier, I finished my proposed budget and my "5 year youth ministry plan" describing what I vision God doing in the midst of a small church reaching out to youth in the community. It is a new adventure for the Fry family, but we're taking each step knowing that we're where He has called us to be. As each piece of the puzzle falls in to place as we get settled it reveals that He has orchestrated all of this.


"Every end is another new beginning..."

No comments:

Post a Comment