Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Follow the Leader

Today we had our first actual snow where it stuck to the ground. I have a meeting tonight here at the church so I came in a little later today. By the time I got on the road it had been snowing for a good amount of time.

As I traveled down the road I noticed that it was MUCH easier for me to drive when I was following the tracks of those who had been ahead of me. As long as I stayed in their path then it was pretty smooth and I felt comfortable, but the minute my wheels exited their path...I had to slow down. I had to be cautious because there was no path.

Growing up I remember thinking that the older people around me didn't understand anything. I thought they had long ago forgot what it was like to be a teenager. As I matured I realized that they weren't as dumb as I thought they were.


When we start living our lives like there is nothing we can learn from those around us...we're on dangerous grounds. We get our wheels outside of the path and begin carving our own path. Are we in control? No. We're at the mercy of where our wheels take us...often times we find ourselves calling someone to pull us out of a ditch.

Some of the greatest minds have been from the type of people who aren't afraid to venture onto their own path, but what is important is remembering to learn from the mistakes of those who created the original path.

No comments:

Post a Comment