Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Spark

The other day my father-in-law asked me to help him clear some trees that were causing him issues on his property. We cut them down and then drug them over into a large pile and burned them. As the day went on and we began to slow down the fire that was once roaring...turned into just smoke. I kept piling stuff on, but there was no flame.

All it took was one spark.

I was cutting down more trees when I heard a loud popping and crackling. I looked over and saw that the fire that was, a few minutes before, just a bunch of smoke...was now burning again.

The youth group in which I am currently serving is a lot like this fire. 4-5 years ago the youth group was roaring. Students graduated and over time the group turned into just smoke. We're currently in that "just smoke" stage, but the fire gave me hope. It was a reminder from God that all that it takes is one student to "get it" and to begin to tell their friends about what God is doing in their life through our ministry.

The purpose of ministry isn't to have the biggest "fire," but to help students connect with Him. That is my goal. To have a ministry that is constantly feeding this fire by connecting students with their creator.

So what's it going to take to get that one spark?

No comments:

Post a Comment