Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Story of my life...

Today I sat down and read the My Utmost devotional for today from Oswald Chambers. (If you haven't discovered this...it is amazing...http://www.myutmost.org/) Chambers makes a profound statement when he says, "God is making us spell out our own souls. It is slow work, so slow that it takes God all time and eternity to make a man and woman after His own purpose."

My great grand-ma passed away at the age of 101. I remember being amazed by this woman because at the age of 99 she was still riding an exercise bike and living on her own. She was truly a remarkable woman. At her funeral, the pastor stated her birth date and then "dash" and then stated her death date. He went on to talk about stories of my great grand-ma and even all of the various inventions that she was able to watch come into existence.

The thing I will never forget from that day is how the pastor stated that our lives are represented in the newspaper and on a tombstone by nothing more than a dash. Everything we see as so important now, simply represented by a dash. People will remember us by how we spent our dash. Our dash is our story...it has a beginning and will eventually have an end. Make the most of your dash and appreciate every character God has blessed you with in your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment