Thursday, June 17, 2010

Angels Bowling



When I was growing up my family always would go camping in southern Indiana on the weekend of Memorial Day. It was the perfect weekend to go because it was when all the public pools in the mid-west would open up, but also was usually the first weekend that we were out of school. I'll never forget the fun times we had at the trails or in the caves. It was so much fun, but it seemed that every year there would be some crazy storm every night while we were there. I don't mean just one or two years....literally..EVERY YEAR! I remember being freaked out beyond belief due to the storms and my parents calmed me by saying that the thunder was angels bowling. I was freaked out because we roughed it. This was before the days of luxury RV's and campers with air conditioning. We roughed it in a tent that had seen better days. Have you ever waited out a tornado in a tent where it was almost like you were taking a shower because of the leaks in the ceiling all while trying to survive?

I've come to love the daily storms that roll through this time of year here in Florida. I at first thought people were exaggerating when they said that there were afternoon showers, but seriously people...it is every day at almost the exact same time. Anyway, yesterday we had a crazy storm come through and while on our way to the church Jacklynn and I were able to witness God put on a real show. The lightening bolts that flashed across the sky were breathtaking. It looked almost too good to be real.

I sat there in the front seat of our Toyota Yaris and couldn't help but be blown away by the awesomeness of God found in lightening. I find I often take my eyes off exactly how mighty God is and how little I really am. Nothing makes you feel smaller than feeling the crack of thunder as if it is penetrating into your chest or how you can feel it shaking the ground below you. It's a humbling experience to know that the God that creates those storms..created me and you...and wants to have a relationship with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment