Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or…Tract!?!?!

image

The other day I was talking with a co-worker about various perspectives on Halloween and how various Christian families observe the day. I was sharing about how the pastor of a church I once attended would turn his lights off and refuse to answer his door to the trick-or-treaters. This co-worker brought up a great point that Halloween is such a great opportunity for us to reach out to our neighbors, co-workers and anyone else that rings our door bell that we do not only ourselves, but The Kingdom, a huge disservice by closing all the blinds and turning the lights off.

I’m not a fan of tracts and I think they’re slightly tacky…especially if you leave a fake dollar bill on a restaurant table and don’t leave a good tip…so don’t think the title is me saying to give tracts instead of candy. I remember being a kid and getting one of those in my trick-or-treat bag and being insanely confused and remember that it took me .00047 seconds to throw it in the trash and move on to the snickers bars and reese’s cups

What I have come to realize about Halloween from my conversation with this co-worker is that Halloween can be an opportunity for us to reach out to those around us that we don’t get to see or talk to everyday. Here in Florida neighbors rarely ever talk and you’re lucky if you get the head-nod. If we rarely talk to our neighbors and ask them how they are doing...how in the world do we begin to invite them to our church? On this day though people come to your house and ask you for candy. This is an opportunity for them to see you as more than just that person next door with the fish symbol on the back of their car or the “follow me to Sunday School’ bumper sticker.

So be cool and give out candy…and tons of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment