Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Forgotten God–Episode 1

image

I started blogging on book quotes while I was reading another book called How to Hit a Curveball, Grill the Perfect Steak, and Become a Real Man. It was a great way of me to process the book and share some of my thoughts about it. I’m going to do the same as I work my way through Francis Chan’s book Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit.

"Even our church growth can happen without Him. Let’s be honest: If you combine a charismatic speaker, a talented worship band, and some hip, creative events, people will attend your church. Yet this does not mean that the Holy Spirit of God is actively working and moving in the lives of the people who are coming. It simply means that you have created a space that is appealing enough to draw people in for an hour or two on Sunday.

It certainly does not mean that people walk out the doors moved to worship and in awe of God. People are more likely to describe the quality of the music or the appeal of the sermon than the One who is the reason people gather for “church” in the first place” (Chan 31).

Right now you’re probably asking yourself…”what was that noise I just heard?” Yep, that noise was the wind leaving my lungs as I was punched and then kicked in the stomach by this quote. So many times in ministry I find myself relying more on technology, my abilities or resources than I do the Holy Spirit.

We’ve all been there. Whatever technology it is: your cell phone, computer or a sound system…it works perfectly fine until your stress level gets to about a 7 on a scale of 1/10. Your stress level then shoots through the roof because we' put our trust in things that will sometimes fail us. The only way to bullet proof our faith is to put our faith in the Holy Spirit…who will never fail us.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Post! We must put our faith in God! He will never die or quit working. He is so good.

    ReplyDelete