Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The One with the Superstitions

This afternoon my wife and I were on our way back to work for lunch and we rolled down the windows in our car. The warm breeze blew through our car and I couldn't help but smile. I love this time of year here in Central Florida where it is nice and cool and it isn't 550 degrees with 134% humidity. I took a deep breath and let the air fill my lungs and it reminded me of the weather we use to have when I played baseball in high school. I'll never forget the warm sun beating down on me while a slight breeze swept across the field. Whenever the weather gets like this I always feel like I should be standing at first base or standing in the batters box awaiting a pitch.

Most people know that most athletes have superstitions, but baseball is one of the sports that is most notorious for it. Some of the superstitions that I would do include: not stepping on the baselines when going on or off the field, not shaving on game days and always listening to the same song before a game. Below is the video to the song that I would always listen to before games in order to get my mind right...I am sure those of you who read this probably won't make it through the first few seconds of the song...but it did the trick for me :-)




It is interesting how if I played bad on the field I would somehow think it was because I had done something different than I had when I went 4/4 or had 0 errors in a game. As if I would somehow gain the powers to control my destiny by eating the same amount of cheerios in my morning breakfast, wearing lucky socks or listening to the same song game after game.

It humbles me every time that I realize that there are things in my life that I can't control. Things happen that are far beyond my understanding and comprehension. I can't explain why cancer exists, natural disasters happen or there are millions of starving children in the world.

During a previous lesson with my middle school students one of the main points of the lesson was that we're not called to completely understand God, but to have faith that He is still in control. That no matter how crazy the situation or how bad our life gets...He still is in control. Nothing is too big for Him, nothing is too stressful for Him and nothing can keep us from His love.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Such a good point, "we're not called to completely understand God, but to have faith that He is still in control." God is in control!!!

    ReplyDelete