Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The One With the Milk Carton Calendar

Can you believe it is February 1st? It seems like just the other day that we were watching Dick Clark's Rockin' NYE Celebration and setting resolutions. I noticed the other day that the craziness of life often causes us to lose track of the dates. My work life is often insanely busy and thus explains why there are 4 or 5 calendars that surround my desk. Half of my day is spent figuring out what day it is.

My wife and I are one of the last couples on the face of this planet that go and do grocery shopping together. It isn't that I enjoy walking the isles and getting the same stuff we get every week, but it is that I enjoy being with my wife. The thought popped in my head that time goes by so fast that we don't take the time to enjoy it as I was selecting a gallon of milk. I've caught myself the past few times thinking "holy cow, it's going to be...*insert month here* when we have to buy milk again." I then begin to think about what all will have taken place by the time this carton finds its way into the trash can.

So we spend so much time thinking about the future and preparing ourselves for the future that we don't enjoy the now. We don't enjoy the small moments of everyday life before they're gone. The next thing we know we're graduated from high school, our kids are moved out or we're approaching retirement.

In my personal life I'm trying to make the most out of every day. To see my life as a story that is being told and that every sentence, paragraph, page and chapter is important. It isn't about trying to worry about what is going to happen in the future chapters, but living in the now and being present to those around me.

James 4:14
14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. We get so busy planning for tomorrow that we fail to see the blessings God is giving us today.

    ReplyDelete