Every January 1st millions of resolutions are made...and every January 2nd millions of resolutions are broken. A close friend recently turned 33 and she decided she wanted to use it as an opportunity to evaluate how she has lived her life and how she wants to live the next 33 years (you can find her story HERE). I was driving to work the other day when it hit me that I needed to use my upcoming 26th birthday as an opportunity to do the same.
My mind first turned to picking a few big things that I wanted to accomplish, but I don't want it to just be a few big things. I want it to be a list of things that cause me to be a better man, husband, father and youth pastor. So I've created a list of 26 different objectives that should aid in accomplishing my goal.
Prayers are appreciated because some of these are harder than others....
1. Say/Do something meaningful for at least 1 person every day
2. Visit 2 new states
3. Blog 3 days a week
4. Read the entire Bible
5. Attend Simply Youth Ministry Conference & Middle School Campference
6. Devote at least 1 entire day to family each week
7. Pay off a loan
8. Get paid to write
9. Run 5 days a week
10. Create something bigger than myself
11. Get ready every day (even if I have nothing planned for the day)
12. 2 date nights per month
13. Run a half marathon
14. Invest in the lives of 2 students and 2 adults
15. Designate 15 minutes each day for prayer
16. Learn a new skill
17. Giveaway something of value to someone who could use it
18. Family movie night each week
19. Family game night each week
20. Prepare dinner 20 times throughout the year for Jacklynn (I'm a horrible cook)
21. Pray as a family every day
22. Set and follow a schedule
23. Take a risk
24. Read 24 books (2 a month - Accepting suggestions)
25. Spend quality time w/ family & friends
and last but not least.....
26. Run a marathon
I figure this is the only year in my entire life that I will be able to run 26 miles at the same time while being 26 years old. So why not do it?
What are your goals?