Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Caroling

Last night our church split up into teams and went out into the community and sang Christmas carols to individuals in our community that are either shut-ins or we've been made aware that they might need a little bit extra Christmas cheer.


As the new guy on staff I felt this was one of those events that I was obligated to attend. I was a bit frustrated that I had to sacrifice missing some football games in order to attend. I wasn't really looking forward to having to go into people's houses that I didn't know and sing to them.

It was in our second house that God really spoke to me. It was in the act of a 92 year old woman opening her door with the biggest smile on her face that God spoke to me. I was reminded in that moment that this night was more important than a football game or watching TV. The woman proclaimed that she was so excited to have us and that we could do whatever we needed to get comfortable. She was just happy to see a group of people come to see her and share their love with her.

I watched as this woman held the hand of a lady singing with us and with the other hand she wiped tears that fell from her eyes.

It is in these moments where we step out of our comfort zone that God reveals himself to us. The moments where we realize that our lives aren't about doing what is easiest for us. The moment where we see the impact of showing God's love to another human being can have on a person.

There are people all around us that are lonely this holiday season. Go find them and share the love that you have been blessed to experience.


CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO BLOG ON THIS TOPIC

No comments:

Post a Comment