Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Along the Path

Imagine a time before iPads. A time before Facebook. I'm not talking about 10 or 20 years ago...I'm talking wayyy back in time. Roughly 2000 years ago.

Imagine that you're walking into town with your kids and all of a sudden you see a huge crowd moving your way. You're confused as to what the commotion is and like any good parent you begin to worry about the safety of your kids. You begin to question whether or not you should grab your kids and run, but something tells you that something historical is happening.

You stand there holding onto your kids shoulders as you squeeze them into your legs to hide their eyes as you see a the horrific scene unfolding before your eyes. The crowd pushes a man that is badly beaten and badly bruised down the road as he carries a large wooden cross. He's so beat up that he falls every few steps.

Then it happens....

A few of the leaders in the crowd with weapons look at you and instruct you to pick up the large wooden cross for the beaten man. You have no idea who the man is, but know he must have done something horrible to deserve to be punished this badly.

"A certain man from Cyrene, Simon, the father of Alexander and Rufus, was passing by on his way in from the country, and they forced him to carry the cross." - Mark 15:21

I remember when I was in Simon's shoes. I was walking down the path leading a very comfortable life. I thought I had my act together, but then along comes this guy who is beaten and bruised...for me. I didn't know Him, but He took the punishment for me.

It messes you up when you realize the beauty of grace. The fact that I go about my day and for the most part forget about grace, but it is always there. When I mess up, grace is there. When I am selfish and self-centered, grace is there.

Thank you God for grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment