Monday, August 29, 2011

Asking for prayers

Today I returned to my office to see my cell phone blinking and indicating that I had a missed phone call. I checked to see who it was and it said "Dad." It was an odd time for him to call so I immediately gave him a call back.

I could tell in his voice that something wasn't right.

He then told me that my mom went with my grandpa to the doctor today and the doctor informed them that there was nothing more they could do for him. That although he had went through chemo that he wasn't getting better. The doctor stated for him to try to be as comfortable as possible until the inevitable happened.

I sat at my desk trying to play it cool and be hopeful, but the reality that I could be losing my first grandparent was crashing in.

Being 1,000 miles from home makes it even worse. I knew when we went up to visit for the 4th of July that it could have possibly been the last time I saw my grandfather being his rotten self.

As a kid I didn't really understand my grandfather, but as I have matured I now know that he is the type of man that has a heart of gold. He's the type that would see someone in need and take action, but do it completely anonymously. He's the type of neighbor that we would all be proud to have. He knows the value of a hard days work.

So from the bottom of my heart I ask for your prayers. Prayers for healing. Prayers for comfort. And prayers for strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment